Foods That Could Kill Your Dog
Dog owners understand just how important our companions are to our family. Some of us would spend every last cent we have to keep our furry friends healthy and happy. But sometimes what we perceive to be treats for ourselves can in fact not only harm our dogs, but outright kill them.
1. While cats may have an on and off switch when it comes to food, dogs do not. The amount of chocolate consumed affects the amount of toxicity the dog will experience. Symptoms range from vomiting to diarrhea to seizures. Note the darker the chocolate the high the level of toxicity for the dog. So steer clear of baker’s chocolate and cocoa powder.
2. Xylitol is the artificial sweetener found in gum, candy and some baked goods. While it is perfectly fine for human consumption, this sweetener can cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure, liver damage, vomiting, and a loss of coordination. The amount is also proportional to the size of the dog; a ten-pound dog, for instance, would only need to consume one piece of gum to have a toxic dose.
3. Grapes and raisins can cause a slew of health problems for dogs including kidney failure, vomiting, increased urination, and increased thirst.
4. Onions and Garlic – When consumed in large amounts, Onions and garlic can cause the destruction of red blood cells and lead to the development of anemia in dogs. While again, size determines the amount of poisoning. Lethargy and reduced appetite are signs of poisoning and should be reported to your veterinarian right away.
5. Besides the usual beer, wine and cocktails, alcohol can be found in deserts as well. It can also be created in your dog’s stomach if they consume store bought yeast used to make bread, rolls, and pizzas. Even in tiny amounts alcohol can be fatal for you dog.